Tuesday

Round 2... FIGHT!

Ok so I spent the weekend with nerds and I was thinking of street fighter when I started typing. Anyway that aside... Tomorrow we begin 4 months of juice fasting. Yes you read that right, the Jones' are gonna stop eating solid food for 4 months. All solid food including raw veggies. Last time around we did a modified juice fast and it worked for us. For Mike it meant a 45lb weight loss, going off 2 medications and the drive necessary to ride his bike for 20-30 miles DAILY! Oh I got crap on the days that man didn't get his ride in. Once he made me ride around the neighborhood in the dark just blocks from our home because he wanted to reach 30 for the night. Freak...
For me it meant 25lbs gone and enough self awareness to know that it was a hell of a challenge. Sure there were the times when I fell flat on my face. Oh like the week I started. I found myself locked in my car with a small bag of potato chips and 2 organic juices. It was like a hostage stand off, only no one was there to persuade me to let the bag of chips go. Or the time in the pantry/laundry room when I went to town by the hand full on a bag of salt and vinegar chips. I was shame eating in the closet! What's worse is that before that moment I could have never brought myself to eat salt and vinegar chips. How quickly things changed that day...
So tomorrow we embark on this longer, stranger, and definitely harder journey. I don't see this as any sort of resolution by any means. This has been planned for some time with the specific knowledge that I can not contain myself around a turkey or a ham or anything that screams holidays or potluck. Accepting I have a problem is the first step. So now that the holidays are gone and hopefully potlucks are too, I can focus on detoxing my body. My pancreas has been howling something fierce the last few weeks. I attributed the sudden spike in blood sugars to stress but I've also been eating as if the end is near and my pancreas is just not able to keep up so I am welcoming this fast with open arms.
Later tonight Mike and I will be taking the "before" pictures and some measurements and tomorrow we wake up and have juice. This afternoon we arrived from Seattle bitter and annoyed, feeling like crap really. On the drive home Mike said "I'm tired of being fat" and I said yup me too want to go on a 4 month juice fast and leave food behind for an entire 4 months and then slowly add real food back into our diets but only veggies and very lean meats like fish and chicken for like ever? And he said Yes! Can you believe that folks?! Ok so of course he said yes but wasn't it more exciting to see it acted out in such a dramatic fashion?  So when we got home first I snuggled with my bed because I missed it so much, then I got up and started tossing everything in the fridge into a garbage can. If it was salvageable I have it packed away and ready to cart over to Suzanne's cause her kids will eat just about anything! Gotta love teenagers! So blah blah blah, I cleaned the hell out of the fridge and then we went shopping and came home with about 3-5 days worth of goods.
Which lead me to the realization that I need to re-asses my greens situation. I can't find kale, it is possibly out of season however, I hear that cash and carry has a huge amount of spinach for very very cheap which I could really get behind! What seems to never go out of fashion are mustard greens. Seriously, can someone explain to me the use of a mustard green besides making mustard gas? Cause that's what happened the time I confused kale for mustard greens and Mike attempted to make a batch of Mean Green. That shit was MEAN. Derp derp derp... A trip to the Market of Choice is in order. Ordinarily I'm not such a fanatic of organic this that or the other but Market of Choice does have organic Kale almost every time I stop by so we should give them a shot. In the meantime we also have collard greens and there are dandelion greens at MoC so maybe I should give them a second try.
So with that I bid you all a due and ask that if you remember the Jones', that you say a little prayer for us cause one or both of us may end up dead before the week is over. *dramatic musical ending*

4 comments:

  1. now i lay me down to sleep I pray the Joneses they don't eat...love you Joneses juice your brains out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen and pass the mustard greens!

    Love and Best of luck and skeels.
    Susan S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kale should totally be in season now, I am getting it in my CSA box! Good luck, we may be up to visit in the spring, hopefully we can see you guys then. And have some juice!

    ReplyDelete