Thursday

Day 4

I didn't finish the last post before I published it but I published it on purpose. I'm hoping to be consistent with my posts as I am with the reboot. I guess I'm somewhat a day behind as I'm posting or a day ahead, well really a little of both. Day 3 went okay, I didn't have the will to pull myself off the couch most of the day. I went to the farm for a few more veggies and to Walmart for some prescriptions but besides that it was a constant struggle to get up and moving. The kitchen is a mess, the dishes were in despair and the laundry, well the laundry is gonna just sit there. It's all clean, although there is a strange odor being emitted from there kind of like wet moldy clothes. You know when you forget to put the clothes from the wash into the dryer, that kind of smell. But everything is clean so what's going on? I won't know for a while, until I run out of underwear or Mike runs out of socks. I bought Mike new socks when we went to Cali and I did some laundry sometime in the not too distant past so I will simply choose to ignore it all until I am damn well ready to deal with it.
I haven't been very hungry thank goodness but I do miss food. I don't want a burger or fries. I want a salad. A big fat juicy bowl of lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and a tart vinegar and olive oil topping and if Mike would permit it maybe 2 croutons. I would be lying if I didn't mention I also want to sink my teeth into a juicy medium rare (a tiny bit more on the rare than the medium) steak. Hot from the grill, seasoned to perfection the way Mike makes them. But alas, I have to move my thoughts onto other stuff cause I'm making myself hungry now.
I need a new scale, one that works would be nice. Although the scale continues to praise me, I know they're lies. I hate to go to the DAC for the sole purpose of weighing in but Mike has gotten into biking like every day and I fear if I ask him to go to the gym he might just die. He's been doing around 10 miles a day maybe a bit more but he's struggling to keep his blood sugars up. We have been slowly backing down his insulin intake and hopefully today will go better than the last 3 days. So the gym seems a bit excessive for him right now. I would love to just bike with him but for 1 he does it while I'm at work and for 2 I don't want to continue paying our dues if we're not going to use the damn thing. We need to use it though! Cardio is awesome but we have flab to bust too! So I'm thinking of calling those fine folks and maybe placing our membership on a freeze or something. And then I think, well how will I weigh in properly? Maybe it is time to invest more than $25 in a scale. I mean seriously; we're fat. It is rude to ask a cheap scale to be realistic with us when we aren't being realistic.
Moving right along, or maybe backtracking to yesterday. It took all of a full day but I managed to make us some juice, some smoothies and eventually some soup. The soup truly was the highlight of my day. I wasn't 100% sure how my endeavor would turn out but I figured it couldn't go very wrong. I purchased 2 yellow zucchini's, tomatoes, onion and I already have 25lbs of carrots in the fridge so I thought I'd toss some of those in too. I sauteed some carrots and onion and tossed in some garlic and a little water while the zucchini roasted in the oven. Then tossed the tomatoes in with the onion and carrots and let them all soften a bit. Once everything looked tender I tossed it in the blender and let it do its thing for a few minutes. The result was a smooth sweet and savory puree, a pinch of salt, dry basil and Cajun seasonings and we were in business! I had a second serving of soup for dinner and bolused too much insulin for it. I really have to start looking at that stuff! I figured squash would be really starchy and the tomatoes and what not but I used 3 large tomatoes and 2 good sized zucchini's. The tomatoes totaled about 70 carbs (they were some hunky tomatoes!) and the zucchini I've found out since dinner only accounts for 1.5 carbs per 1/2 cup. There was about 4 cups between the 2 zucchini's and it yielded about 80oz of soup. So even being conservative there wasn't more than 100 carbs in the entire pot of soup of which mike and I had half each between our two meals. I didn't bolus when I had my first serving cause I was so excited to eat that damn soup I just forgot. So when I had my second serving I bolused for approximately 80 carbs. Big oopsie right there. I was fine for a long while and then I realized it was getting late and I needed to prep juice for the following day. I was in the middle of fighting the juicer over a bunch of collard greens, feeling flushed and sweating like crazy. I decided to check where my blood sugar was sitting just for kicks, couldn't be that low after all the soup I had! It was reading 63! Oops! My pump was going nuts thinking I might die at any given moment. I will admit I panicked just a bit, I was only halfway through the first batch of mean green and I know that doesn't have enough starch to up my blood sugar and I had just given Mike the last of the soup which if you're following along doesn't have that many carbs anyway. So I'm standing in the kitchen with all these useless veggies and wondering what's in the pantry but feeling stupid guilty about putting anything else that is solid in my face but I had to do something! I opened the cupboard and to my extreme joyful surprise there was still pineapple juice in there from a month ago when Mike went nuts drinking rum and pineapple juice. So that saved the night along with some of Mike's soup which he was so kind to share. I ended the night making a big batch of mean green. Enough for 2 servings each, as well as 2 servings of tabbouleh juice and 1 serving of breakfast stuff. The breakfast stuff is grapefruit, apple and grapes. Last time I made it it was super  bitter but sans skin and the grapefruit is palatable. I didn't have a problem with it but I think it was a bit on the bitter side for the Mr.
Thus far today I haven't had the urge to jump face first into any pots of dip, although I hear yesterday there was artichoke and Parmesan dip in the back room which might have been enough for me to call this whole thing off. I don't feel starved and was even able to sit with some coworkers while they had lunch. Subway and meatloaf. What really had my attention were the cucumber slices one of the gals had. I would have gone to town on those! You know what worries me though, is the idea that I might get sick of the same juices day after day. I don't know how much you can change up the mean green to make it taste different. I don't want to hit a wall with this where I'm just staring up wondering why I can't just go around.




And then the work day ended, I went to Bunco and Jenny had bread. And dill dip. And that was all she wrote! I think I may need to lock myself in the house until this fast is over. With friends like these... right Jenny? I kid, I kid. I could have done far more damage but like i said to someone tonight, it's a slippery slope. One minute you're eating a piece of bread the next you're waking up face down in the carton of a Big Mac, thousand island dressing in your hair. And like i said to Jenny, tomorrow is a new day. So lets just keep this between us and the internet and keep it moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment